Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Evolution of EB3


Elijah Carlsen Barlow was born on the morning of November 12, 2008 in Elmira, NY.  I will never forget the 4.5 hour pushing stage to set him free, because he was sunny-side up and had a good-sized head.  My midwife was just about to call in the doctor to try a vacuum extraction, but I somehow managed to work him out before she made the call.  The next morning I could barely move, all of my muscles were so sore and I felt like I'd done a triathlon.  Yet I was so happy and felt such satisfaction in the work I had done and the beautiful blessing of a healthy baby boy.






EB3 was born on November 12, 2011 in Shanghai, China, in honor of Elijah on his 3rd birthday.  My first attempt at making a shape-cake, as I am more of a cook than a baker.  I probably spent 4-5 hours total making the robot cake, between baking 2 layer cakes, cutting and shaping, making the buttercream frosting and giving a robot face to EB3.  I used lollipops, licorice, marshmallows, coco puffs, M&Ms, Kit Kats, gummmy worms, gummy rings, wafers, and Hershey's Kisses.  It was worth the time and effort to hear Elijah scream with delight when I showed up at school with the finished cake for him and his classmates.


Elijah is a cutie pie, even if I look like one of the fry guys (McDonalds).  I need a haircut!


Elijah helping to make the buttercream frosting.
Adding in the powdered cane sugar.

Playing with his robot birthday gift.
With Daddy and Addie and his new T-Rex dinosaur.

Happy 3rd Birthday Elijah!  We love you so much!

3 comments:

Tim said...

Look at those beautiful Barlows. Excellent work on the cake. Here's to living artfully.

TH

snakerivermama said...

You are so creative and such a good mama. I am not so creative but I know an awesome shape cake when I see one! I am absolutely stealing this for davids birthday in december!

blindblogger said...

You have a gorgeous family!!! I found your blog from The Johnson's. Dan and I are still in Beijing but wrapping things up and moving soon to San Diego. I would love to send you a Christmas card if you have a chance email me at ashleyhaslam12@gmail.com

Love,

Ashley